Monday 2 July 2012

Lunchbox idea #2.


This yummy salad is called 'Chickpea and Feta Salad'. I found this recipe, on page 24, in the free mag which came with BodyFit's magazine, May 2012 issue. It makes 4 servings and each serving is approx. 261 kcal. It's fun, tasty, jam-packed with protein and quite different to your ordinary 'lettace, tomato, cucumber' salads! The cheese tastes great too - quite strong. The cheese tastes good hot or cold, in my opinion. I took this salad in a lunchbox to college for 2 days. It's very filling! I did change up the recipe a little to suit me and the ingredients I had already/could get hold of. Instead of 400g I used 240g, instead of reduced-fat feta cheese, I used reduced fat salad cheese (very similar to feta). I also took out the radicchio and the radish sprouts, as I don't even know what they are. I also only used 1 tbsp of olive oil instead of two. The calories I worked out are for how I prepared the meal, not for the actual recipe. Here's how to make it:


Ingredients:
- 400g (13oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 Lebanese cucumber or 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 150g (5oz) radishes, thinly sliced
- 150g (5oz) red seedless grapes, halved
- 1 small radicchio, sliced
- 200g (7oz) reduced-fat feta cheese, cut into four pieces
- 2 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 heaped tbsp pumpkin seeds
- small handful of radish sprouts (optional)
- salt and pepper
- lemon wedges, to serve

Method:
1. Mix together the chickpeas, cucumber, radishes and grapes in a large bowl. Toss lightly with the radicchio, season with salt and pepper and pile into serving dishes.
2. Place the feta on a foil-lined grill pan, drizzle with two tablespoons of the oil and sprinkle with the dried oregano and a little pepper. Cook under a preheated grill for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Remove from the grill and leave to cool for 2-3 minutes.
3. Heat a small non-stick pan over a medium heat, add the pumpkin seeds and dry-fry for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden. Tip on to a small plate.
4. Arrange the grilled feta on the salad. Scatter over the toasted pumpkin seeds and radish sprouts, if using. Drizzle with the remaining oil and serve immediately with the lemon wedges.




No comments:

Post a Comment