Friday 11 January 2013

Oatmeal pancakes with agave syrup.



I dragged myself out of bed at stupid o'clock this morning so I could make breakfast for myself and my family. I say stupid o'clock because my sister leaves for school before 8am and my Mum cycles to work every morning.. I work evenings, so I can usually have a long lie in. But I didn't mind too much, because I finally got to try out the recipe I have been eyeing up this past week - oatmeal pancakes! I found this recipe in a new magazine called "Eat Smart Stay Slim" (volume 1, page 50) (I'm not sure how long it'll be between each volume of this magazine, as I can't actually find a page saying when the next one's out.. It could be a one off? I'm not sure). On Instagram I follow some people who are all about fitness and eating clean, and a lot of them post pictures of their homemade "protein pancakes" and I've always wanted to try them, but of course I don't drink protein shakes of any kind, so I don't own the protein powder needed in their recipes.. So I'm really happy I've found this! I've tweaked the ingredients a little (as I often do) to make it a bit less calorific, and still taste amazing! Everybody loved them and thought they were delicious. I ate them over 3 hours ago now, and I'm still feeling relatively full, so I think they're a complete success! Here's what I did:

Ingredients:
- 75g porridge oats
- 150g wholemeal flour
- 1.2tsp cinnamon
- 0.5tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 275ml almond milk (the original recipe used skimmed milk)
- low-kcal cooking spray (such as 'Fry Light')

Method:
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the egg and 2tbsp of the almond milk, then slowly add the remaining milk until the mixture becomes a smooth batter (like thick yoghurt). If it's still too thick, add a touch more milk.


2. Heat a large frying pan and spray with the low-kcal cooking spray. Spoon a heaped tablespoon of the batter into the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side, until golden.


3. Keep the pancakes warm in a low-heat oven until ready to serve.


You can serve these pancakes with whatever you fancy. We used agave nectar syrup on ours, but alternatively you could use: the traditional sugar and lemon juice; granulated sweetener; honey with fresh berries and fromage frais (as the magazine suggests); golden syrup with banana slices; maple syrup - the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment